Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday +2-Horror Movies

Tonight I watched "Cabin In The Woods" (review to come tomorrow), which incidentally came out on DVD and BluRay today, and in honor of that as well as the fact that Halloween is a mere month and a half away I thought I would do my top 10 favorite horror movies. Then I started my list and realized I HAD to have 12. So sue me.

As usual, these are not in any particular order, although my #1 will definitely be last. There's lots of other movies I could have put on here that I really like and many that I don't really see as "horror" per se (I'm looking at you, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" which I feel is the best vampire movie ever, but is a drama, not a horror movie). I know some people will have a problem with some of these, but I really don't care. My list, not yours.


Not that crappy prequel either. This is just an awesome example of what you don't see is scarier than what you do see. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some great special effects for the time of the monster and transformations, but what really makes the movie is the unsettling idea that anyone in the movie could be "infected" at any given time.


















I count these as one since 2 is kind of a remake of 1. The first one was a straight up horror film and the sequel basically was a send-up of the first one with some great Sam Rami sight gags. Both are classics in their own right and started the career of the one and only Bruce Campbell. 'Nuff said.


Say what you want, but this is one I watch every October. Another wonderful example of what you don't see is spookier. When you're having the Devil's baby you'd think there would be all sorts of demons hanging around, objects floating, and stuff like that, but here it is just a bunch of unsettling things that involve somewhat normal experiences that just turn more and more unsettling as the movie goes on.


Second best vampire movie of all time, but the best vampire horror movie. It doesn't stray from the vampire lore, but gives it a modern, urban neighborhood spin. It has this wonderful mix of "Dracula" and "Rear Window" that just works amazingly well. The sequel was great too.


I know what you're gonna say, but too bad. Yes it was a stroke of marketing genius that made this movie bigger than it had any right to be, but it still creeps me out. The acting is actually really good and it's really amazing how they could keep your attention and make you feel for these characters. It started the trend of "found footage" horror and that damn shaky camera, but here it works to a wonderful effect. The build up to that last 15 minutes is all worth it too. And next time you watch it, listen for that creepy hum in the background in the last scene...gives me chills.


Screw "Aliens". Ridley did it all better the first time around. A claustrophobic masterpiece that started a franchise that still is churning out intelligent Sci-Fi to this day. Sure there was a stumble or two along the way (cough Aliens 3 cough), but this one has some of the most unforgettable imagery in horror history like exploding chests and aliens hiding in ductwork in the background that you haven't noticed for the last 15 minutes...an absolute classic.


Most of you have probably never seen this movie, which is a real shame. It has one of the best endings of a movie ever and is a prime example of the '80s slasher flick. The acting is not particularly great, but who watches these types of horror movies for the acting? Just don't watch the remake...blech.


 I know many people complained about the whole "astral projection" thing, but I thought it was a great thing to base the movie on. Sure the last 10 minutes are a little disappointing in how the "Lipstick Demon" chases them and stuff, but everything leading up to that is just creepy as hell. My dog stares at the corners of the ceiling now which really gives me the heebie jeebies.


I don't to hear it. "Scream" was the rebirth of the slasher flick and is one of those defining of a generation movies. Yes the sequels were uneven at best, but this one was self-referential, witty, and pretty damn gory too. It set off a whole slew of copycat movies and the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" franchise which actually wasn't that bad in its own right.


They got progressively more stupid with each progressive movie (except "New Nightmare" which wasn't too bad), but the idea that you could be killed when you are your most vulnerable makes it hard to watch this one and NOT have nightmares. Creative with its kills and the way that reality slips into a dream state without you realizing it sometimes just makes it work so well. The remake was awful.


 Ok, I have an admission here. I've never been a big fan of the shambling zombie genre. I like "The Walking Dead", but it's the character examination I like about that one. "28 Days Later" is arguably not a zombie movie because of it being based on a virus outbreak. That's what makes it scarier: it could potentially happen. This one started the whole running zombies idea and just has some of the eeriest images (all I have to say is the church).


 Here we have my top horror movie of all time. Gives me the creeps even to this day and I watch it every Halloween for that reason. The potential reality of it makes it even scarier still. There have been lots of possession movies over the years, but none hold a candle to the original (although I do like "Exorcist III" and "Exorcism Of Emily Rose"). The voice, the pea soup, the Crucifix.... It just amazes me that the black and white face that you only see for a few frames the entire movie is still one of the spookiest images in film history.

No comments: